We first shared our homemade Hojicha-infused banana bread at our live acoustics event at CombiniCafé, with the natural sweetness of the bananas and the toasty, nutty flavour of Hojicha, we got wonderful feedback from our guests. Today we share our recipe of this healthier plant-based version of the popular banana bread... enjoy!
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 320g all-purpose / plain flour
- 140g almond milk
- 100g vegan butter melted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- dark chocolate chips (optional but recommended!)
- 1 tbsp Hojicha powder
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 170°C (340°F).
- Mash bananas in a bowl with a fork and ensure that there are no large pieces.
- Add sugar, almond milk, melted butter and cinnamon into the mashed banana mixture and stir well.
- Slowly add in the flour; we recommend dividing it into 3 parts and stirring it well before adding more.
- Tip in the baking powder and chocolate chips and ensure that the batter is well-mixed.
- Grease a loaf pan and pour the batter in.
- Place the pan into the oven and cook for around 60 minutes. To avoid the surface of the bread from browning, you can cover with some aluminium foil.
- To check that the banana bread is thoroughly cooked, pierce it with a fork and ensure that the mixture is dry.
- Let the banana bread cool on the side and mix all the glaze ingredients together.
- Pour the Hojicha glaze over the banana bread and enjoy!